Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PMP Study Materials

Ok, so I have decided to pass the PMP exam. Easy? Not exactly. The exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions to be answered over a 4 hour period. The topics covers a wide range of subjects from the PMBok Guide (shown to the left below), i.e the Project Management Framework in use here. The book itself is, sorry to say it, a snooze. There is no way any sane person can honestly say that they have read it from cover to cover without their eyes drooping. This is a wellknown fact within the pmp community. Instead, the PmBok Guide should be seen as a reference book which you continuously come back to during your studies.

Hence, I need to look elsewhere for material which will make me PMP-exam ready. I have settled for three additional study resources:

* "The PMP Exam - How to Pass on your first Try" - by Andy Crowe. The book is really intuitive and easy to read and understand. The author guides you through the heavy material and gives valuable tips for the actual exam. I can higly recommend it! It also comes with a 2 week trial for a website which offers online preparation exams.

* "The PMPrepCast" - by Cornelius Fichtner. This is a Video Podcast with over 30 hours of material. For me this is a lifesaver on my 3 hour daily commute. I have to date gone through almost 30 episodes and can only give it two thumbs up! Cornelius also hosts a very popular Project Management Podcast which also is very educational for Project Management Professionals.

* "PMP Exam Prep" - by Rita Mulcahy. I haven't bought this book yet, but from what others have said, this is also a must have when it comes to the preparation materials. I will have to get back to you on that one. But I intend to order it any day now from Amazon.

The PMP Exam requires a lot of studying...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I've heard good things about Andy and Rita's books, but no personal experience with those.

    I do recommend the PM Prepcast on my PMP Guide newsletter, it's what I used to study for my PMP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Josh - Yes I saw that. I'm subscribing to your newsletter as well and it is also filled with a bunch of great PM tips!

    ReplyDelete